Sunday, March 9, 2008

Unbelievable, Bush OK's Waterboarding

How can waterboarding not be called torture? And how can President Bush veto a bill that would prohibit it? The news yesterday evening surprised and angered me. You may say I am naive about our "war on terror," and you'd probably be right. But if you become like the enemy to defeat the enemy, then why fight the enemy? I read a couple of news reports, like CNN's, just to make sure I heard it right.

"The bill Congress sent me would take away one of the most valuable tools in the
war on terror," the president said in his weekly radio address taped for
broadcast Saturday. "So today I vetoed it." The bill provides guidelines for
intelligence activities for the year and includes the interrogation requirement.
It passed the House in December and the Senate last
month. -per the CBS News article, Bush Vetoes Bill Banning Torture

This past weekend we watched the movie Rendition, about a suspect sent secretly to Egypt for interrogation. The movie has a scene that depicts waterboarding. That will get your attention. On what moral grounds do we stand when we oppose terrorism and torture and yet condone this practice? I have no answers, just feeling to need to be another voice in the wilderness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.