Monday, March 17, 2008

I Bind Myself to Thee Today

I bind unto myself today
The strong name of the Trinity
By invocation of the same
The Three in One and One in Three


- St. Patrick's Breastplate

And so, what is the day like, bound to God, as prisoners being transported are bound to one another? What is it like to maneuver through your appointments, your conversations and your decisions feeling another so close at hand? And what is it like to be so closely identified with the one to whom you're bound so that while you know you are still yourself, you also know you are not just yourself anymore? It is not so strange, the answer, for is it not like living the call of discipleship?

Christ be with me, Christ within me,
Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and restore me.
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ in quiet, Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of all that love me,
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger
- St. Patrick's Hymn

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY

No comments: